For the record....

11 Posts
3 Users
20 Likes
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm grateful for ALL the compliments I receive about my 1/18 projects but all I really do is just scratch-build a few parts and modify existing models. Thousands do the same thing (..and better) every day. 

My inspiration continues to be Roger Zimmermann (in Switzerland). A MASTER scale fabricator of the highest caliber. His work is simply over-the-top.

You may recall I posted his breathtaking 1/12 1956 Continental a few years back.  Except for the micro screws, washers, nuts & bolts, everything else was 100% fabricated by Roger from brass, metal stock, rubber molds, plexiglass, etc...  Just amazing work.

He has since moved on to replicating 1/12 1932 Cadillac chassis....  again, keep in mind that EVERYTHING has been hand-fabricated by Roger.  Now this is a model builder!

Here's just a few pics (from the hundreds posted on his site):

Zim Cad 3
Zim Cad 2
Zim Cad 4
Zim Cad 1

100Ford2003, Marty Johnson, David Green and 1 people reacted
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

Sorry, Professor!  But your talents and skills are already etched into the annuals of great model car building.  While it is true there are a few who are ahead of you.  However, it is also true that the overwhelming majority of us hackers are not of your caliber.  Your expertise is well documented in the various projects you've done over the years.  Each one seems to be more awesome than the previous awesome product.  So, sorry, Professor!  You are a diecast modifying professional whose work speaks for itself.  

Did Roger Zimmerman ever finish the Lincoln Mark II?  I've seen nothing of it.  The most recent info I could find was dated 2016.  

100Ford2003 reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ah Marlowe (my greatest fan!) thank you as always.

YES! Roger did indeed finish his 1/12 1956 Continental a few years ago.

Not only is it stunning but it's also "electrified!"  Roger wired it "completely,"  lights, window switches, vent windows, seats, etc, etc...   Just an astronomical task expertly executed!  I'm speechless!

Once again, may I present just a few pics:

295%20rolling%20frame
298%20rolling%20frame
Zim1
Zim2
Zim3
Zim4
Zim10
Zim8
Zim9
Zim6
Zim11
Zim12
Zim7
Zim15
Zim13
Zim14
Zim16

David Green, Rich Sufficool, John Kuvakas and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

What really floored me about Zimmerman's Lincon were the powered vent and side windows.  That's was just too much!  Without a doubt, ALMOST the pinnacle of all custom creations.  For me, the absolute pinnacle is the Ferrari 312 PB with a running engine and gearbox.  These people are just unbelievable!  

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@marty-johnson Yep! Seen that one a few times before.....  It's like the 8th wonder of the world! In 10 lifetimes I could never do that. Just a super-human, monumental, herculean effort. These kinds of people exist in rarified airspace. "Your Ferrari"  is "my Duesenberg."   Another master builder created this 1932 with a fully working driveline!

The engine runs, the transmission shifts!  The 9th wonder of the world!

D 32 run 1
D 32 run 2

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

Yes, the builder of the Duesenberg you have pictured is Louis Chenot and he is another master artesian.  These builders are in a rarified air of skill and capability.  To steal a quote, they're "Far beyond mortal men." Essentially, what they're done is recreated a real 1:1 car in a smaller scale.  The task is beyond comprehension!  

https://www.scalemodelnews.com/2013/03/remarkable-hand-crafted-fully-working.html  

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by Marty Johnson

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

After seeing some of my 1:18 scale modification work, a friend of mine asked me how my models would rank in the pantheon of model building.  I told him on a 1-10 scale, probably around a 3 or 3.5.  And depending on what it's being compared to, perhaps in the 1 to 2 range.  He was shocked by my answer because he views my models as being crazy exercises in patience and skill.  I chuckled and explained to him that there are people out they wayyyyyyy more advanced on levels than I, and what they do are literally incomprehensible. 

As an example, I showed him Roger Zimmerman's Lincoln while he was effectuating the working power windows and Pierre Scerri's fully functional Ferrari 312 PB.  Needless to say, he was totally blown away.  Of course, these artisans go beyond the model car-building genre too.  There are shipbuilders, trains, aircraft, and motorcycle builders as well.  

This post was modified 2 months ago by Marty Johnson

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

OK, the guy's modeling skills are off the charts. What baffles me is where and how he gets his research like on that Mkll so he can properly model the car in that depth of detail. I remember doing two years amassing details I sought to replicate on some of my military dioramas and still found I guessed wrong on some and some I guessed correctly... and I'm doing it in the 54mm range of scale.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@rich-sufficool Oh that's an easy answer Rich,

These "off-the-charts-dudes"  either own the actual cars or have access to clubs and museums that allow for photographs of 1:1 detail as often as required.

Like you, I must spend countless hours (days) conducting diligent research. 😣 😫 😣 

For these guys, it's a walk to the garage, a friend's house or museum. Nice! Right? 😏 😏  

Here's just a few research pics lifted from Roger's site. Needless to say, he'll go to any length, any extreme, to ensure 100% accuracy! (I love it!

Zim17
Zim18
Zim19
Zim20
Zim21

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

@chris WOW. That was my first thought that they must break down a real unaltered and pristine car... that's certainly the best way to make sure every detail is correct. So, not only do you need a donor, but you need mechanics with the know how and equipment and a facility to make it happen. Perhaps the donor car was getting a full frame off restoration at the same time.

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@rich-sufficool and @chris - Ahhh!  Great question Rich, and equally great answer, Chris!  I've pondered that question as well.  And just a bit more jaw-dropping information, Pierre Scerri spent 3 YEARS making drawings for the Ferrari 312PB.  These guys are from another planet.

ReplyQuote
Share: