It Was Way Too Hairy.... [PIC]

5 Posts
4 Users
8 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Two of these insane "Hurst Hairy Oldsmobiles" were built in 1966 (in white) and a replacement in gold after #1 was wrecked in 1966. The beasts were powered by two 425cid V8s  each with a 6-71 GMC supercharger that generated a combined 2400 hp using nitromethane.  Twin chain-driven Toronado transaxles brought the power to their respective axles which held up well silencing the critics that claimed the chain drive aspect would be vulnerable to failure. As exhibition drag cars, they were way too unstable with all the torque in the front end and the rear engine causing the unloading of the front wheels.  It was also difficult to see during a run between the tire smoke coming from both ends and the oil spray coming from the valve cover breathers due to the pressure from the superchargers.

They were accidents waiting to happen and it didn't have to wait too long. The white '66 crashed that year and was rebuilt and consigned to the R.E.Olds Automotive Museum. The gold '67 also crashed that year and was brought back to Hurst Performance and dismantled.

HairyOlds 022
HairyOlds 026
HairyOlds 009 001
HairyOlds 001 001
HairyOlds 011
HairyOlds 007
HairyOlds 031
HairyOlds 021
HairyOlds 014
HairyOlds 030
HairyOlds 016
HairyOlds 017
HairyOlds 003
HairyOlds 042
HairyOlds 009 001
HairyOlds 039

Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

These vintage drag cars simply can't be beat. I love this car (and one I don't own). I remember Marlowe telling me just how nutty it was to drive this and that it's "crowd time" was limited. 

Nice post Rich.

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

It's been restored too.  

hursthairycenter carcraft2
Hurst Hairy Olds.1
Hurst Hairy Olds.4
Hurst Hairy Olds.7

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

@marty-johnson Great pics!  Thanks Marty.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

..yeah, schweeeet pics!

ReplyQuote
Share: