Making my new Cobra...

Notifications
Clear all

Making my new Cobra 'Race Ready'

franklemire
(@franklemire)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Solido recently released a new 427 Cobra variant. (thank you Mint Models) This is the first one that was closer to being in racing trim in that it had the quick jack hooks instead of front and rear bumpers. It was a bit odd that they gave it a polished aluminum finish but added a racing stripe combo that is a dead wringer for the Essex Wire race car. The problem is that car was painted white. Solido also decided - no doubt for reasons of style - to go with black wheels trimmed in red, not something I've ever seen on any Cobra.

DSCN3537
DSCN3536

I haven't decided if I'm going to put livery on this car or not or indeed to repaint it and make a model of the famous Essex Wire 427 but I did decide that it needed to be made more 'Race Ready'

To do that I removed the cooling fans, the windscreen wind deflectors, one windshield wiper and the rear license plate. I then lowered the car just a bit, added racing mirrors, a better gas cap and a fire extinguisher.

DSCN3544
DSCN3546

Not bad for a fifty dollar car!

Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Great job....I love it!

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Noble Member

Frank, 

That looks so much better !

Thx for the pics and description.

Steve

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Honorable Member

...no, not bad at all AND I think these have opening hoods (rare for a Solido).

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@chris The only thing that opens on this one is the doors but I have plenty of other models if I want to see a 427 Ford V8. This is a case where a sealed works just fine for me. The earlier models did have opening hoods  - I guess Solido was looking to hold the price point. Wish they would make a 1964-1965 FIA spec 289 - sealed or not I'd buy at least a half dozen of them.

ReplyQuote
john3976
(@john3976)
Honorable Member

Cobra's are one of those cars that are timeless as they look just as good today as they did back in the 1960's. Few cars can pull that off but the Cobra is one of the ones that does it. 

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@john3976 The last of the old school British sports cars!

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

Excellent work Frank. Your collection of Cobras is incredible.

ReplyQuote
franklemire
(@franklemire)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@bob-jackman I think excessive or compulsive are a more accurate assessment of my collection but thanks for the kind words. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

Frank, I've been told that myself.

ReplyQuote
Share: