(PICS) "2 Cords, little harmony"

5 Posts
3 Users
8 Likes
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I seldom compare & contrast two models (...because I rarely purchase 2 like replicas produced by different manufactures) but I'll make an exception here.

I wanted this pair long ago because these 1/18 1937 Cords represent 2 different body styles: Ertl being the 2-seat roadster (long trunk) while Signature is the 4-seat car (short trunk). I'll spare the L-O-N-G fascinating history about Cord's innovations but it's safe to safe most are aware of the highlights: Hidden headlights, "coffin nose" hood, front-wheel drive, backward mounted engine, pre-select manual transmission (like the Tucker).

Each 1/18 model has some nice features but CLEARLY the Ertl wins HANDS DOWN in any serious contest when compared to Signature's "attempt."  I'll let the pics do the talking but when you compare under-sides it's obvious Signature didn't know or didn't care about front-wheel-drive. 😫 😣 😫 

(...and yes, that 1937 "hot rod" air cleaner is quite correct)

Cord 21
Cord 20
Cord 19
Cord 18
Cord 16
Cord 17
Cord 10
Cord 13
Cord 9
Cord 14
Cord 11
Cord 12
Cord 15
Cord 8
Cord 5
Cord 6
Cord 3
Cord 7
Cord 4
Cord 2
Cord 1

This topic was modified 7 months ago by Christopher Moroni

100Ford2003, David Green, Bob Jackman and 5 people reacted
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Nice comparison Chris.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-jackman

Nice comparison Chris.

Thanks Bob, it was fun to do. Ertl did MANY things right on this one, including both small black paint patches (on each side of the rounded cowl) to give the appearance of a continuous dark line on all sides of the coffin hood. And that build plate!  That's pretty respectable for an Ertl. (Not to mention that delicate steering linkage). 😎 

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

Well, you're certainly right about the ERTL model. It's quite well done. Unfortunately, I always loved the look of the hardtop, but if this is the only LWB coupe available, I'll have to pass. Thanks for the heads-up review, Chris.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rich-sufficool

Well, you're certainly right about the ERTL model. It's quite well done. Unfortunately, I always loved the look of the hardtop, but if this is the only LWB coupe available, I'll have to pass. Thanks for the heads-up review, Chris.

It's too much to ask for a 1/18 4-door sedan (never say never but.....) I've thought about a 1/18 4-dr modification project, using mostly Ertl parts (naturally), several times. Other projects, however, always seem to get in the way.

ReplyQuote
Share: