The Template for Hot Rods to Come... [PIC]

7 Posts
3 Users
16 Likes
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

In 1934, Edsel Ford, with designer and engineer Eugene T Gregorie, using the Model 40 as the basis, set out to create what Edsel conceived and a low slung, long and rakish European styled sports car. The resultant all aluminum boat-tailed speedster went through various design changes and by 1939 also received the new Mercury V8 with upgraded, carb, intake and cam. It was painted in Edsel's favorite color. Pearl Essence Gunmetal Dark. Edsel died in 1943 and the car, then valued at $200, was bequeathed to his widow. Eleanor, who didn't drive. It now resides at the Edsel & Eleanor Foundation.

Edsel Speedster 043
Edsel Speedster 001
Edsel Speedster 004
Edsel Speedster 012
Edsel Speedster 026
Edsel Speedster 013
Edsel Speedster 041
Edsel Speedster 017
Edsel Speedster 034
Edsel Speedster 036
Edsel Speedster 002
Edsel Speedster 055

100Ford2003, Ed Davis, Bob Jackman and 7 people reacted
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

Love it, love it, love it! I really wanted this one to compliment my Exoto "999" racer.. UNTIL ..I discovered it was resin. It's VERY well done but I must have posable wheels AND an opening hood to see that Merc engine. If (IF!!) ever CMC, Exoto or even Norev tool one up, I'm there!

ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@chris It's like so many of niche images that stand a snowball's chance in hell of being done as an operational diecast model. I'm too darned old to be willing to wait for something that may never come. I have to be thankful that models like this are done at all.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

@rich-sufficool Yeah, I hear ya Rich; your compelling reasoning can't be argued. I just haven't (yet) pulled the trigger on anything resin. I've made only a couple diecast concessions, purchasing just a few that are not full function, but they were "must haves."

One day, I suppose, I'll find a "must have" resin. This Edsel custom came awfully close! 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

By the time this model came out I was out of room for more 1/18 scale cars so I got it in 1/43 scale.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Noble Member

Posted by: @bob-jackman

By the time this model came out I was out of room for more 1/18 scale cars so I got it in 1/43 scale.

...and when 1/43 fills your space, there's always 1/50, then 1/64, then 1/72... then of course N-scale (1/160). There's ALWAYS room Bob! 😏 😏 

Ed Davis and Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@chris Chris, I already have some 1/32, 1/50, 1/64, 1/87 and 1/160. I use the smaller scales in the same displays as their larger brothers.

ReplyQuote
Share: