Notifications
Clear all

A new look for Oldsmobile

Page 1 / 3

Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Recently I purchased a second 1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 convertible with the thought of doing a complete repaint.  However, the paint was in such good condition, glossy, no rash, that I decided on a partial repaint, keeping the red body portion.  It was interesting to see how DM decided to carry off a two-tone paint job.  All of the white painted parts are separate.  The lower red section of each door is riveted to the upper white part which contains the hinge.  The front clip is held on by six screws. Here it is partial disassembled:

IMG 7195

I decided on a two-tone matching interior with a carpet color change as well.  The top of  dash is part of the front clip casting. Here's the seats and door panels taped up, ready for paint. 

IMG 7209
IMG 7208

Engine compartment cowl and inner fenders painted, painted interior mocked up, dash top painted, and door partially assembled.  I removed the spotlight and the right side rear view mirror from the door.  I don't remember seeing too many '50's-'70's cars with these items.

IMG 7238
IMG 7239
IMG 7281
IMG 7282

I disassembled the convertible top and removed the cloth top.  I saved the little metal buttons for the rear top bow and made a new welting out of telephone wire. 

IMG 7322
IMG 7348

And the finished product.  Thanks for looking!

IMG 7283
IMG 7284
IMG 7285
IMG 7286
IMG 7287
IMG 7288
IMG 7289
IMG 7290
IMG 7291
IMG 7293
IMG 7295
IMG 7296
IMG 7297
IMG 7298
IMG 7299
IMG 7300
IMG 7302
IMG 7304
IMG 7309
IMG 7311
IMG 7312
IMG 7313
IMG 7314

Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Estimable Member

Nice work.  It was interesting to see how the model came apart.

Al_Dorado, Pete Rovero, John Merritt and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
John Shamblin
(@john-shamblin)
Reputable Member

Wow! I like your version better. Was that color combo available on the 1:1?

ReplyQuote
Tony Perrone
(@perrone1)
Admin Moderator

+1 to above comments!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Evan Morgan
(@evan-morgan)
Reputable Member

Nice work, it looks good to me either way.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Honorable Member

Astounding work on this beautiful Oldsmobile. Very nice !

ReplyQuote
PacoSaval
(@pacosaval)

Amazing ! ..the black paint job looks incredible ! I always thought to have the white (beige) top of the '55 orange hardtop in to the blue conv.. 

..do you think it will be possible? ..I did already some conversions like the '55 Pontiac conv (yellow/black) with a black top of a damage "black over red" 

and it looks great.. I promise fotos.. again.. great job Pete,

All the best, Paco

ReplyQuote
Mark Sweeney
(@whodeytink)
Estimable Member

Your color combo choice is way better than the original.  Great work!

ReplyQuote
Harrison Miniature Auto Museum
(@lu)
Reputable Member

Wow! This is beautiful!

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Noble Member Registered

Another work of art Pete. Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Famed Member

Magic Man strikes again !!!!......for the average Joe,to accomplish ONE of these in a lifetime,whyyyyyyyyyyy he`d be eatin` lunch on that for decades !!!!......You Pete,seem able to knock one of these out between your tuna sandwich and the tomato soup course!!!!!!!

SPECTACULAR work ...... and your generosity in sharing deets is simply magnanimous Nerd  

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @john-shamblin

Wow! I like your version better. Was that color combo available on the 1:1?

John, yes it was available, black over red and red over black.  I have a list of two-tone combinations and what I found interesting is that some of the color combinations shown in the 1955 Oldsmobile sales brochures are not on the list!   

ReplyQuote
Rich Faber
(@rich-faber)

Posted by: @pacosaval

Amazing ! ..the black paint job looks incredible ! I always thought to have the white (beige) top of the '55 orange hardtop in to the blue conv.. 

..do you think it will be possible? ..I did already some conversions like the '55 Pontiac conv (yellow/black) with a black top of a damage "black over red" 

All the best, Paco

Hi Paco,

Good to see you here! You and I know each other form eBay. I had no idea you also do modifications. If you're referring to the '55 Olds in Metallic Turquoise, it's funny you mentioned that, because I have been considering that same modification. I did a test fit of the roof to that car, and it appears to be slightly too short, but I think that with a little downward pressure when gluing, it might be able to be adjusted to just barely fit. There is a clip at the bottom of the rear of the roof, which is meant to accommodate a slot on the body of the car, to hold it in place, so in order to allow the roof to push down flush to the body, you would either need to cut off that clip, or replace the interior of the convertible with that of the hardtop. If memory serves though, it's possible that the body shell of the convertible might not allow for the fit of the hardtop interior, but I'd have to locate mine to see for sure. Either way, it would take quite a bit of work and retrofitting, but I do think it's possible. If you go forward with it, I'd be very interested in seeing the process, and the end result. I'd also love to see pictures of your Pontiac conversion. I plan to do one of those too!

To Pete: Sorry to hijack your thread a bit for my reply to Paco. I have to say, that is quite a stunning repaint, and I love seeing the process of how you dismantle and reassemble the model Extremely helpful! Thanks so much for posting it! Just fantastic work!

Best,

Rich

ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Noble Member

That is amazing. The black/red color really looks great. One of my favorite color combinations from the 50s. 

Your work is always fascinating, I enjoy each and every one of your beautiful creations.

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pacosaval

All the best, Paco

Thanks Paco.  As far as the shell beige color, I only show red, maroon, coral, and bronze metallic as compatible colors per the two-tone list.  White was available with any colors, including all of the blues. Back in 1955,  if you wanted to order a shell beige and blue Oldsmobile  you probably could.  Looking forward to seeing your photos! 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: