Clear all

1935 Singer Nine Le Mans from a white metal kit by Mikansue

David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

1935 Singer Nine Le Mans from a white metal kit by Mikansue 

613379 1

The Singer, Coventry-based company dated back to the turn of the century, when it traded bicycle manufacturing for building three-, and then four-wheeled motorcars. Singer would become a serious industry player with the late-1926 introduction of the Junior, an innovative and well-built light car whose popularity put its maker behind only Austin and Morris in the British sales charts. 

Singer introduced the aptly named Nine Le Mans in October 1933; this car was a true two-seater that rode on a double-drop frame that offered a lower centre of gravity. This model's bodywork featured a double-hump cowl and rear-mounted slab fuel tank, combined with a set-back, angle-profile grille and graceful individual fenders; it was attractively rakish and more akin to an upscale Riley MPH than the square-rigger MG J2 that was its closest competition.

I built this white metal kit about 25 years ago. David Holcomb's Voisin Aerodyne Mikansue Post reminded me that I still had it.

P1090861
P1090862
P1090863
P1090864
P1090865
1 43 Singer Le Mans 1935 kit 4

The roadgoing Nine Le Mans shared its SOHC four-cylinder with the factory team cars that, again in 1934, finished the 24 Hours of Le Mans with honours.
The Singer 9 Le Mans is a rear wheel drive car, with its motor located in the front, and a 2 door roadster bodyshell. It is powered by a naturally aspirated engine of 1 litre capacity. This powerplant features single overhead camshaft valve gear, 4 cylinder layout, and 2 valves per cylinder. It has an output of 38 bhp to 48 bhp  dependant on tuning at 5000 rpm. The Singer 9 Le Mans has a top speed of 73 mph.

Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Prominent Member

Nice build on that one!  Very nicely done!  Did you put Yesteryear wheels and tires in it?  Makes it pop!

This post was modified 4 months ago by Karl Schnelle

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@karl 

Hi Karl,

Those are the wheels and tires from the Mikansue kit. Yes, they are quite a bit better than on some others that I have built.

ReplyQuote
David Holcombe
(@d-m-holcombe)
Noble Member

Great work, David!   I'm already looking for that Singer, but it's not common.   

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

Love the build and story David G.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Prominent Member

Lansdowne made a nice '54 version!   Do you have it also?

https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/hobbydb/catalog_items/singer-sm-roadster

Singer SM Roadster

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

@karl 

Yes I do Karl. Here is mine.

P1180318

I also owned the real thing. Here is my 1954 Singer SM1500 Roadster. (People are my future wife and I.)

1954sm1500
1954singer

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Prominent Member

@david-green 😍 😍 😍 😎 😎 😎  The view with your future wife reminds me of a Jeepster!

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Noble Member

And here's a really little one (1/76)

Dublo Dinky 062 Singer Roadster pic3

ReplyQuote
Share: