In 1970, you could ...

Notifications
Clear all

In 1970, you could have taken the public transit system or you could take Plymouths Rapid Transit System, like the newly released Autocult Rapid Transit Roadrunner...... (pics)

6 Posts
4 Users
32 Likes
Ben Lampson
(@ben-lampson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This model is a beauty and I hope Autocult does the rest of the factory custom cars that toured the country known as the Rapid Transit Caravan.

Please click on the images to enlarge for best clarity.

Scroll past the pictures for the background story on the Rapid Transit Caravan dealership tour..

In the 4th pic, you can see the ultra fine detail of the finned grill with the headlights peaking out from the back of the finned slots.

20220520 151554
20220520 151521
20220520 152309
20220520 152451
20220520 151735
20220520 151711
01 1550847616785@2x
12 1550847981651@2x
01 1550848402940@2x
Rapid Transit P1 IMG011
Rapid Transit P1 IMG013 edit
f6df982536eba99ccc88d32e3fde04bd
8713030210 c5103747ec b
7654068480 c754f68bfa b
Rapid Transit P1 IMG001
the caravan of speed

The year is 1970, your hair is long and your pant legs are wide. Gas is cheap, Led Zeppelin just released their second album and the horsepower wars are in full swing! With the big three battling over the ever shrinking attention span of America’s youth, automotive advertisers were forced to embrace their wild side in an effort to appeal to the latest in hot-rodding culture. At the height of the muscle-machine era, big metal flake, shiny side pipes, and wild funny-cars were all the rage. Being in touch with their fanbase, Chrysler was prepared to impress with strong performance line-ups for the 1970 model year. Dodge’s Scat Pack and Plymouth’s Rapid Transit System sparked quite the sibling rivalry between the two Chrysler kin, but I think it’s safe to say Plymouth championed the joint marketing effort when they introduced the Rapid Transit caravan.

While the cars themselves have made headlines over the years, the tour itself has sadly fallen into obscurity. As a die-hard Chrysler nut, I feel it’s important to remember this incredible time in our brand’s history. A time where NASCAR stadiums and ¼-mile bleachers were packed, a time where muscle cars roamed every road, and a time where Plymouth’s “win-you-over” beat was strong!

The caravan was a tour, a traveling roadshow that displayed Plymouth’s hottest new models and showed off their potential to the world of customized cars. Plymouth commissioned the modification of three brand-new models (a Duster, a ’Cuda and a Road Runner), which were transformed into radical funny car-inspired street freaks! Plymouth then crammed the three customs into a 44-ft.-long bright yellow big-rig and showed them off at Plymouth dealerships across the country. Along with the cars was a replica of Don “The Snake” Prudhomme’s flip-top funny car ’Cuda, a cut-away HEMI® engine and a stockpile of hot-rodding parts! Reaching thousands of fans across the nation, the personalized Plymouth vehicles were a huge hit.

With the tour boasting a large attendance and sales figures skyrocketing, Plymouth hit the road again in the summer of ’71 for one final Rapid Transit tour. These bizarre muscle machines left a lasting impression on car enthusiasts across the nation.

It is my understanding that all the cars except the Cuda have been restored back to original condition.

It is important to note that Dodge had a similar marketing theme called the Scat Pack Club.

This information was copied from a documentary on the subject.....read the rest of this well written piece here.....

https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/product/2019/05/the-rapid-transit-system-caravan-part-1.html

Ed Glorius, David Green, 100Ford2003 and 15 people reacted
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

I had the Hot Wheels Snake and Mongoose as a kid, but never knew this story!

Snake

Thanks for telling it! That would be cool if Autocult did them all!

Ben Lampson, David Green, John Kuvakas and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Excellent Ben - mine should show up any day now.

ReplyQuote
Ben Lampson
(@ben-lampson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mg-harv

Excellent Ben - mine should show up any day now.

Do you think Autocult will do the other cars Harv?

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

@ben-lampson I don't know but if this one sells well, it could be a high probability.

ReplyQuote
Joop
 Joop
(@joop)
Noble Member

today I received mine, along with the Matrix Pontiac Vivant.

IMHO both Autocult and Matrix offer the best models .....

see the Vivant, a Matrix picture taken from the Internet.

download

Karl Schnelle, Ben Lampson, Karl Schnelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: