Cruise to the holiday weekend with this new arrival!

This is the 1961 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Open top Jade Metallic in 1:43 scale by Stamp Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3OMNnVO

Question for our om...

Notifications
Clear all

Question for our omniscient Moderator regarding Profile Picture

Page 1 / 2

Mark Lampariello
(@mark-lampariello)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been trying to upload a photo from my Windows laptop to replace the geometric design.  I've tried several times both from my photo files in Documents Folder, and from a photo just sitting on the Desktop.  It starts to drag-and-drop, then doesn't stay there.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?  It's not astrophysics after all.

Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Noble Member

I went to my Profile and ACCOUNT.  Then under avatar, I clicked choose file.  I selected a new one.  No problem.  No drag-and-drop...

ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Prominent Member

Ditto^^^

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

ReplyQuote
Ken Spear
(@kenspear)
Reputable Member

Mine changed OK too.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Noble Member

@karl  But Karl's face looks like a car! Smile  

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Reputable Member Registered

You mean the beetle-browed look?

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)

Hello. me again.

I just tried to change my avatar. I went into my profile and selected "Account". "Upload avatar" was already checked so I browsed my photo files and selected an image, and the new image filename showed up alongside "Browse" (but the new image didn't replace the old one being displayed).  I clicked "Save changes" and exited my profile.

The image hasn't changed. I couldn't see any option for deleting the current avatar before selecting a new one. I went back into my profile and the old image is still showing. and alongside "Browse" it just says "No image selected".

I remember someone saying it could take ages to update and one just has to be patient. Is that right? Or should the new image load immediately if you do it right?

This post was modified 11 months ago 2 times by Graeme Ogg

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Noble Member

Posted by: @graeme-ogg

I remember someone saying it could take ages to update and one just has to be patient. Is that right? Or should the new image load immediately if you do it right?

Mine updated immediately!

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)

I just tried again. I selected a new image and the filename I selected is displayed beside "Browse"

Profile screenshot

I clicked "Save changes" and exited. Then I went back into my profile and the profile details are unchanged:

Failed avatar

and the image on my post is unchanged. Strange that it works for some people. Am I missing some crucial step in editing the profile?

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

I'm not sure but I'm wondering if the image you're uploading is too large?

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)

The new image (part of an on-going campaign to project a more mature, sophisticated persona to a sceptical world) was originally 100 KB but I've now reduced it to thumbnail size, just over one inch (3 cm) square, and it's only 24KB, which is tiny.

Same result. New filename is browsed, selected and displayed and I click "save changes" and . . . nothing changes.

Is there another step that  tells the system "Replace the existing avatar with this new image" that I have overlooked?

New avatar rd

Well, maybe people are accustomed to me looking like a 12 year old with a false beard. so why worry?

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

I just tried changing mine by clicking on my current avatar in the upper right of my screen next to the write tab. That seems to be an easier way if you haven't already tried that. I can probably go in and change for you if you like. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)

JK, sorry to bother you with trivia, but I'm not sure what screen you are looking at, with the avatar at top right and a "Write" tab next to it. If I go into "Add topic" or "Leave a reply" I don't see any avatar or any "write" tab,  just a blank space for typing, and when I upload, my avatar is above my name on the left side of the Forum screen like everyone else's.

If I go into my profile account then yes, the avatar is displayed but if I click on the image I just get a drop-down menu with options like "Save image", "Copy image", "email image" etc.

I don't think I'm going mad, but I may be going blind.

I could just let you make the change but it annoys me that that I can't get to work by myself. Don't know if Mark L. has had any success yet.

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

@graeme-ogg, We'll get through it! Can you see this on your screen? If you can, click on the image to the right of the "Write' tab.

Screenshot 2021 08 06 085529

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)

Ah, that explains your previous post, but creates a new mystery, because my screen doen't show that top bar at all. I've scrolled up and down and checked I am on full screen and tried clicking around to see if it will pop up, but no luck. Seems unlikely that my browser would block it when it loads the rest of the page OK.

Forum headers

So that's why I can't click on my avatar there. And by the way, what does the "write" function do that you can't do by just typing in the topic box?

Maybe this is another hang-over from the system's original refusal to register me in the normal way. So maybe it has taken revenge by trying to cripple my functionality. (Cripple my functionality? That's hardly necessary, lads. I'll be 79 next month, for God's sake!)

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Cruise to the holiday weekend with this new arrival!

This is the 1961 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Open top Jade Metallic in 1:43 scale by Stamp Models.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3OMNnVO