The Marvellous Multicoloured Memphian

10 Posts
7 Users
23 Likes
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

A while back someone posted images of some forthcoming Esval models on the Forum, and although generally speaking I am a creature of subtle and refined taste (said he, to the obvious astonishment of everyone within earshot) I was grabbed by the sheer outrageousness of the Edsel ambulance by Memphian Coachworks. So I decided to splash out.  And here it is.

Edsel Memphian 3
Edsel Memphian 1
Edsel Memphian 2

The multicoloured paint job is flawlessly applied and the P/E trim is nicely done, as is the badging.

Edsel Memphian badging

The front end is well detailed and the wipers are nicely in scale.

Edsel memphian front

Not so sure about the back end, though. I couldn't find any pictures of the rear of the actual vehicle but if you compare the width of the rear lights relative to the overall width of the base Edsel sedan, and also their depth, I think Esval have rather over-cooked things here (unless Memphian themselves designed and fitted oversize rear lamps, which seems a little unlikely).

Eslerl back end

Hard to capture the interior in photos, but there is a well-detailed metal-framed gurney in there, and the strange "chrome flower" visible in the side window is actually the valve on a finely modelled oxygen cylinder. If you happen to have a particular passion for models of oxygen cylinders, I highly recommend you buy this one (and get the ambulance for free).

So, it's quite a picturesque little model, you have to admit. It looks like nothing else, except maybe the VW Polo Harlequin.

Harlequin

It cost me around £100, which is rather more than the dollar equivalent price but it saved me the $20-$40 dollars variously quoted for shipping from the States, plus an unpredictable UK customs charge, plus the £8 Post Office fee for customs handling, so I reckoned that was OK. So much so, in fact, that I also ordered the 2-door Roundup wagon, which makes a nice change from the inevitable woody version. (They also do a blue 4-door wagon but I didn't care for the rear wheel spats.)

Edsel Roundup 2
Edsel Roundup 1

Once again the front end is tidily done

Edsel Roundup 4

and the whole thing is quite pleasant, in an unspectacular, plain Jane sort of way. I think some people commented that we need more Edsel models like a hole in the head, but I happened to have a hole in my head that only an Edsel could fill, so I make no apologies.

Unfortunately mine is slightly spoiled by a wayward P/E strip along one waistline and a mis-applied badge on the left front which also looks like a small scrap of debris got caught in the adhesive and is hard to remove.

Edsle trim 1
Edsel trim 2

I know some people would send a model back fior that reason, but I think my UK dealer only got 3 or 4 of each model and and they are all spoken for, so I can't imagine what kind of hassle and delay getting a replacement would involve. I think I can tidy it up OK.

This topic was modified 2 months ago by Graeme Ogg

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

Very nice. I couldn't resist these two either as well as the blue wagon. The multi-colored ambulance was very intriguing, I couldn't pass that one up.

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

Great pics, Graeme...and a well-written, balanced review. Thanks. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Impressive Graeme. I think that ambulance has set a record for the most colours on an Edsel. I'm not sure about that rear end. Great review!

Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Illustrious Member

I did find one photo of the Edsel ambulance this model was probably based on, it's the only one I found. Not the greatest shot, but...

121401 012

John Merritt
South Lyon, Michigan - USA

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Famed Member

Esval will be disappointed, won't be popping for the Roundup, did one in reverse colors years ago.   But there are other Esvals that intrigue.

1958 Edsels two 2

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

p.s.I forgot to include my attempt at capturing the interior detail including the mysterious "metal flower" I mentioned. Not wishing to disappoint . . .

Edsel Memphian gurney

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

John Kuvakas, Jack Dodds, Ed Davis and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Noble Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jcarnutz

I did find one photo of the Edsel ambulance this model was probably based on, it's the only one I found. Not the greatest shot, but...

121401 012

Thanks for the photo. Based on that, the rear lights are definitely grossly overdone on the Esval, which is surprising given the delicate detailing of the rest of the model.

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Illustrious Member

Mine is on order. In the meantime, here is another Memphian ambulance by AuroCult. 

AutoCult 12010 DeSoto Ambulance pic1
AutoCult 12010 DeSoto Ambulance pic2

ReplyQuote
Karl Schnelle
(@karl)
Famed Member

After that understated Edsel, I was surprised you were not getting the Any Car!  It would make a great set! 😎 

99059 99122 Anycarlov5184x3456300dpiq12

John Kuvakas reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: