Topic starter  

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

Ed Davis, Pete Rovero, David Vandermeer and 1 people reacted
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member

Two things:

1) I (always) appreciate your back-stories & photos.

2) Sergio's commitment to detail/accuracy. How many times have we've seen Police liveries unrealistically applied to "anything?"  (hardtops, 2-drs, etc...)   Sergio goes the extra mile to ensure authenticity and collectors have noticed.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Famed Member

Looks like another great model from Goldvarg. Does anyone know why the NYPD chose black for the front fenders?

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

Jack Dodds reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Famed Member

@ed-davis Good question....

From what I know/remember reading, NY Police cars were originally black. For some reason, the bodies were then painted green but front & rear fenders remained black. Speculation for the green color ranges from lack of black paint to celebrating the Irish heritage within the department. Not having separate rear fenders, 1950's cars incorporated a variety of rear-quarter black paint schemes (either all black or black below trim or a body line, etc..) while front fenders simply remained all black.  At some point, white was applied to roofs (and trunks) to locate Police cars quicker from the air, etc.. 

My scale collection contains a "sub-collection"  of Police cars but just "Black & Whites"  (LAPD only).

This post was modified 2 months ago by Christopher Moroni

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin
Topic starter  

Here's one of the sites I use when doing the videos. Click here

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Share: