Hot Wheels 1967 For...

Notifications
Clear all

Hot Wheels 1967 Ford GT40 MK IV Le Mans winner

Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

For a $1 toy car, it actually cost me £1.75, this is an excellent rendition of the 1967 Le Mans winner. The reason for this model getting so much hype and attention before release  is that this is it represents the first, and as at 2021 the only, All-American Le Mans winner. The Ford GT40 MKIV evolved from the Ford America J-Car project. Ford GT40 MKIV chassis J-5 was built by Shelby American, powered by Ford’s 7L engine and driven to victory by Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. 

A total of four MK IVs were entered for the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1967 as well as winning the race, one came in 4th place behind two Ferrari 330P4‘s and two retired.

Hot Wheels are releasing this casting in yellow to represent chassis J-4 which was the car that raced at Sebring in April 1967. It led from the start and took victory with Bruce McLaren and Mario Andretti behind the wheel.

Hot Wheels 1967 Ford GT40 MK IV Le Mans winner 1
Hot Wheels 1967 Ford GT40 MK IV Le Mans winner 2

For the backdrop I selected the Wrenn Formula 152 Trackside Pits which was an accessory to their 1:52nd scale slot racing system and available throughout the 1960’s. Ideally I needed to use a section of their track to elevate the Hot Wheels car to a more realistic level.

The figures are from the Husky Models Garage Personnel Set issued in 1968 and are 1:64th scale.

Hot Wheels 1967 Ford GT40 MK IV Le Mans winner

HW Race Day 8/10 2020 106/250

Model number GRX30

Colour Red with white competition stripes and #1

Designer Ryu Asada

Issued 2021 (c) 2020 on baseplate

Made in Malaysia

Scale - around 1:57th.

Wrenn Formula 152

B1 Trackside Pit

Colour white with painted and printed coloured decoration to include brick, Dunlop, BP shield, Cooper and Ferrari detailing.

Material - polystyrene

Issued 1961

Made in Great Britain

Scale - 1:52nd

Husky Models Garage Personnel Set containing 6 figures in various poses

Number 1573

Issued 1968-69

Designed in Great Britain

Made in Hong Kong

Scale 1:64th - note standing figures measure 27mm

https://shelbyamericancollection.org/portfolio-item/j-4-1967-ford-gt/

https://www.wrenn152.com/buildings/

David Green
(@david-green)
Noble Member

Chis, What a great and comprehensive post. Love all the extra details that you provided about the Husky garage, Wrenn track and the 1967 Le Mans Winner.

I don't have this winning car in this scale so must look for it. Really enjoyed the post.

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@david-green Thanks David. This one is well worth getting hold of. In the last few years Hot Wheels seemed to have 'up their game' so to speak.

I was really surprised when I got back into collecting Hot Wheels around five weeks ago just how much they have improved.

Always fascinated by the minor slot car producers and Britain had quite a few making stuff in the 1960's. However, by the end of the decade many went under or concentrated on other things. Wrenn, for example, also produced model railway locomotives and rolling stock and they lasted into the early 1990's producing these items.

The pit building was a gift form a brother-in-law who was having a clear out a few years ago.

Chris

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Noble Member

@chris-sweetman

Hi Chris,

Thank you. Interesting stuff. I do have some of the Minic motorways and Jaguars that run on the tracks. I do remember Wrenn but never collected it.

Just found the '67 GT40 Mk.IV. Its a 2021 new issue, now at Walmart in Canada. Hotwheels also issued a Gulf G-40 in 2020 but #8, not the Winning 6 or 9. They cost $1.25 plus 13% tax here in Canada ($1.41).

s l1600
s l1600

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@david-green

Hi David

Glad to hear you managed to find one. I don't have the Gulf GT40 but I have a version in a Hot Wheels livery!

Regarding slot car racing systems I have a couple of magazines dating from the 1960's which had major articles featuring all that were available in the UK. One was in Model Cars and the other was a 16 page pull out from Meccano Magazine, this had a Wrenn Formula 152 circuit on the front cover. What the main interest for me are the buildings, figures and other accessories that were part of each system.

Also worth mentioning is that some articles focused on the scenery side of slot car circuits much as the same as for model railways. 

Really appreciate your comments.

ReplyQuote
Share: