Tomica Nissan and D...

Notifications
Clear all

Tomica Nissan and Datsun Skylines F2F

Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Two models from Tomica’s brands. One, on the left, from their 1-140 toy line and the other, on the right, from their Limited Vintage NEO line aimed at the collectors market.

Just looking at the image will convey differences but personally I am delighted to have both models in my collection. For the toy line I like the fact that Tomica state the scale of models and this certainly helps in the selection process.

In the UK neither range is available from any stores so one cannot enjoy the experience of ‘peg hunting’.

Tomica Nissan and Datsun Skylines F2F

On the left:

Takara Tomy
Tomica Nissan Skyline 2020 4dr
Number 76
Colour Gloss deep red a perfect match to the red seen on website images of the real car
New issue in 2020
Date on base 2019
Features - suspension
Made in Vietnam
Scale 1:64th as quoted by manufacturer

On the right:

TomyTech
Tomica Limited Vintage NEO Nissan Skyline HT 2000 GT-ES 1981
Number LV-N230b
Colour red
New issue in 2020
Date on base 2020
Features - suspension
Made in China
Scale 1:64th as quoted by manufacturer

David Green
(@david-green)
Noble Member

I have seen the Tomica Skyline 2020 addition here in Canada at Walmart but not the Vintage Neo issue. Tomica only occasionally show up. The same is with Majorette these days. We get an excellent selection of Matchbox and HotWheels but everything else is sporadic.

The real Nissan Skyline is not sold here in Canada although the name is well known due to the 'Fast and Furious' movies.

Thanks for the post and information Chris. Does Tomica make anything in Japan any more?

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@david-green Hi David

You are welcome.

Skylines in the past have been sold in the UK but I have never seen a 4 door version sold here. 

All the recent issue Tomica models I have bought are made in either China or Vietnam.

Not sure but I think the last made in Japan Tomica's were back in the mid 1990's.

In the UK the small scale peg hook models available seem to be Hot Wheels and no-name budget models.

Matchbox is virtually non-existent in the UK with only Tesco supermarkets stocking them and then only sporadically.

I did find a few Majorette's in a TKmaXX and I was surprised to see them there.

For Tomica sold in the UK one has to go back to the mid 1990's when Tomica UK arranged a made in China collection of older Japanese castings. 

They were marketed alongside a range of accessories and motorised Tomica vehicles to use on a track system to support a toy-like railway system.

I have few buildings that were part of this range and will dig them out and start to use these as backdrops.  

ReplyQuote
Chris Sweetman
(@chris-sweetman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Tomica 76 Nissan Skyline 2020 4Dr

Tomica 76 Nissan Skyline 2020 4Dr

Here is a full side on view of the 2020 4Dr Skyline

First offered for sale in the Autumn of 2019 this is sleek looking saloon car. The real version is only available for the Japanese market and in the 400R variant it is the most powerful factory built Skyline ever! The 400R has a 3L V6 twin-turbo petrol engine that develops 400hp. For Hybrid versions Nissans new ProPILOT 2.0 is fitted as standard. When this engages with the vehicle's navigation system it can help manoeuver the car according to a predefined route on designated roadways. Also for the first time, the system enables hands-off driving while cruising in a single lane.

Tomica must have worked with Nissan as they seemly issued their miniature around the same time the real car was announced. They have certainly replicated the stance and all the features are there with the exception of the door mounted mirrors. Just love the colour and the deep sheen Tomica have achieved on such a small scale model car. Not sure if Tomica’s version is the 400R or one of the other variants available on the full-size car but either way this is a wonderful model. Having a suspension system fitted is a plus and no doubt when on the straight sections of the card or plastic highway a gentle nudge promotes a hands free operation just need control when on the curves! So that’s almost like Nissan’s ProPILOT 2.0 hands-off driving system but a whole lot cheaper!

ReplyQuote
Share: