IT GREW ON ME!

Notifications
Clear all

IT GREW ON ME!  

georgeschire
(@georgeschire)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When I first saw the 1962 PLYMOUTH'S as a kid, it appeared to me to be one of the oddest looking cars I'd ever seen.  And when asked to name a car that from a styling perspective, I thought missed the mark, the '62 Plymouth was usually the one that came to mind.  

But in just the last few years, I've found myself gravitating to this car with more appreciation of its unique and different look.  That appreciation has moved this Plymouth over to my list of cars that I now find attractive, perhaps because of its oddness.  

Now when attending old car shows, I find myself enjoying a '62 Plymouth more than the usual Chevy's and Ford's (or most every other car) of that same year.  Lesson learned, never say never.

62 PLYMOUTH FURY #1B (2018 12 15 23 43 45 UTC)
62 PLYMOUTH FURY #1A (2018 12 15 23 43 45 UTC)
62 PLYMOUTH SPORT FURY #DKDKID875TDRE5 (2019 09 12 16 23 28 UTC)

John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Reputable Member

I loved these from the get-go, but I prefer the base (Savoy) body style.

ReplyQuote
georgeschire
(@georgeschire)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sizedoesmatter

I loved these from the get-go, but I prefer the base (Savoy) body style.

I've seen a couple of the base Savoy's at local car shows, both Red.  They are eye-drawing.  

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Honorable Member

I have always thought the 62 Fury 2drht. was a very decent looking car; it was the Dodge that took me very many years to warm up to.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Honorable Member

I have always thought the 62 Fury 2drht. was a very decent looking car; it was the Dodge that took me very many years to warm up to.  I will say though that they could have been a little more imaginative with the Fury tail light selection.

ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Trusted Member

Plymouth & Dodge: 1955 to 1960  alright, 1961 to 1963 don't care for, 1964 to 1972 good.

ReplyQuote
georgeschire
(@georgeschire)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jack-dodds

I have always thought the 62 Fury 2drht. was a very decent looking car; it was the Dodge that took me very many years to warm up to.  I will say though that they could have been a little more imaginative with the Fury tail light selection.

I know what you mean about the Dodge, as the grille and headlight arrangement takes some getting used to.  However, I do like the rear-end treatment better than the Plymouth's for '62.  This said though, for the same reasons I've come to like the Plymouth, I also like the Dodge.  They look enough alike, yet are unique in their own way.  

62 DODGE #AA987KDJ38 (2019 07 27 11 53 10 UTC)

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Honorable Member

@georgeschire  If Goldvarg or another model maker of similar quality make these two cars in 1:43 scale I would certainly buy them.  Same goes for the 62 Chrysler 2drht.

ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Trusted Member

@georgeschire  Still a bit too unique for my taste.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Reputable Member Registered

Jack, I would also buy a model of them.

ReplyQuote
Bob Kroupa
(@2bubbas)

I loved those from the get-go-  my wife thinks I'm nuts-  friend in college had one and hated it-  I always told him it's surely better than walking-

ReplyQuote
georgeschire
(@georgeschire)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@jack-dodds,

If any mint had produced a '62 Plymouth or '62 Dodge, I'd have been all over it like stink on a monkey.  Smile

Their oddity in appearance makes them so important to the history of both cars today.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that, either or both cars would be at the top of my personal "Wish List" right now if 1:24 scales were to be had.  

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Honorable Member

Wow......"like stink on a monkey"....now that's passion for sure!  Lol.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Estimable Member

I agree with George and just as with the '62 Dodge, find them fascinating designs that, as Bob mentions, I would love to have a model of.

Yes, as with Dodge, it was a mistake to downsize Exner's designs for 1962 and the original ones look even more amazing and would definitely make for incredible replicas.

ReplyQuote
Share: