Notifications
Clear all

QOTD

John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin
Topic starter  

Did you ever do repair or maintenance work on your own car? What is the biggest job you ever tackled?

For me, it was rebuilding the top end of the 429 in my '69 Thunderbird. I was amazed that it ran when I was done! So was my dad!!

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

john barry
(@john-barry)
Famed Member

"429 in my '69 Thunderbird"............ Holey Moses !!!!!

**for me,it was an r&r on the engine of my `71 Volkswagen Van.....sittin` on my butt on an ice crusted driveway in NW Ohio

**in the Honorable Mention category....getting ALL 8 plugs out of my `99 Ford Lariat

VDUB
agent99

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member

Did a few engine changes in my youth. A 1948 Ford Prefect and two MGs. I also did several valve jobs on MGs, a 1961 Mini and a Vauxhall. Hardest I did was replacing the rear transverse spring in my 1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV. It was used to stabilize the independent rear suspension. Fun to do as long as I had a good shop manual but strictly a hobby as I have no background in this stuff. Oh, and did some bodywork on my brother's 1955 Chevrolet.

Here is a 1948 Ford Prefect for those not familiar. The others you likely know.

ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Famed Member

Posted by: @david-green

Did a few engine changes in my youth. A 1948 Ford Prefect and two MGs. I also did several valve jobs on MGs, a 1961 Mini and a Vauxhall. Hardest I did was replacing the rear transverse spring in my 1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV. It was used to stabilize the independent rear suspension. Fun to do as long as I had a good shop manual but strictly a hobby as I have no background in this stuff. Oh, and did some bodywork on my brother's 1955 Chevrolet.

Howdja like that ???......until just now David,Ford Prefect only existed in my mind as the enabler that accompanied Arthur Dent on his tour of the galaxies.....I had no idea the character had been named after an actual Ford car 😀 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Prefect_(character)

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member

@john-barry 

Thanks John,

I had forgotten about this character. Loved 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

To quote from Wiki regarding Ford Prefect:

Although Ford had taken great care to blend into Earth society, he had "skimped a bit on his preparatory research," and thought that the name "Ford Prefect" would be "nicely inconspicuous." The Ford Prefect was a popular British car manufactured from 1938 to 1961, and Adams later clarified in an interview that Ford "had simply mistaken the dominant life form" of Earth. This was expanded on somewhat in the film version, where Ford is almost run over while attempting to greet a blue Ford Prefect.

ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Famed Member

@john-barry 

Thanks John,

I had forgotten about this character. Loved 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

To quote from Wiki regarding Ford Prefect:

Although Ford had taken great care to blend into Earth society, he had "skimped a bit on his preparatory research," and thought that the name "Ford Prefect" would be "nicely inconspicuous." The Ford Prefect was a popular British car manufactured from 1938 to 1961, and Adams later clarified in an interview that Ford "had simply mistaken the dominant life form" of Earth. This was expanded on somewhat in the film version, where Ford is almost run over while attempting to greet a blue Ford Prefect.

THGTTG ............ so MANY wonderful and hilarious details Anguished so long David,and thanks for all the fishes

ReplyQuote
David Vandermeer
(@david-vandermeer)
Reputable Member

I've owned and worked on my own cars for 60 years; starters, water pumps, radiators, fuel pumps both in tank and on the engine.

A couple of heater cores and minor body work too. rebuilding the top end of a Duster 318. Swapping a 2 row radiator for a 3 row to solve an overheating

problem in my '79 Corvette had some challenges, its at about a 45 degree angle with little work space. That was just a couple years ago.

The biggest job tackled would be 2 guys turning a 2 door post '58 Ford with a police interceptor 292 V8 into a dirt track race car. From '68 to '71 I was "pit boss" 

on that car to keep it competitive, good enough to do a "clean sweep" of our races one night. It was a quarter mile dirt track with banked turns.

David Vandermeer
Corinth, Texas

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin
Topic starter  

@david-vandermeer, quite the adventure! I wish I could have seen it. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Frank Kocour
(@kocour)
Prominent Member

In the past I did all of the routine maintenance on my cars.  Always wanted to build an engine from scratch.  Never did.  Closest I came was to rebuild a couple of 4-barrels.  I've done plenty of parts replacing, but nothing that would cause me to go into an engine.  

When cars became fuel injected and the engine bay became crammed with pipes, hoses, bells and whistles I stopped.  I had no idea what was in there anymore. 

The biggest job I have done on a newer car was to replace all four power window lifts on Cathy's Mitsu.  And speaking of that . . .

Mechanical repairs on newer cars are unbelievably expensive.  Cathy's "Check Engine" light came on.  I replaced the gas cap.  The light came on again a couple of days later.  Gas cap was fine, the problem was some sort of safety valve on the gas tank.  There was no leak that could be seen or smelled, but the computer found it.  It was an $80 part, but the tank had to be removed.  The repair cost over $800.  

I have never believed in extended warrantees, but it seems these days it is a smart (but painful) move to purchase one.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin
Topic starter  

@kocour, for years, I avoided buying the extended warranty as well. But, for the same reasons as yours, I have with the last four cars we bought.  

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Famed Member

Posted by: @john-barry

Howdja like that ???......until just now David,Ford Prefect only existed in my mind as the enabler that accompanied Arthur Dent on his tour of the galaxies.....I had no idea the character had been named after an actual Ford car 😀 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Prefect_(character)

The pic of the "Sit up and beg" Ford Prefect reminded me of how popular it was for young guys in the 60s to build rods/dragsters from these.  A fellow I knew did one up very well and used a 394 Olds engine.  It was the talk of our area at the time.  I would love to see one redone more sedately for modern use, with the 1971-3 Toyota Corolla drive train and of course modernized suspension.  I love the look of this little bugger.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

I do all of the maintenance and repairs on my four older cars. I couldn't afford to keep them if I had to pay someone else to do the work. As to newer cars...if it has a computer I'm no longer qualified to open the hood.

ReplyQuote
Share: