Notifications
Clear all

White Chrysler Turbine Coupe.

Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/turbine-dreams-the-1963-chrysler-typhoon/

For decades I've been insisting there was a white coupe at the World's Fair, and everyone told me I made it up. Here it is!

It says silver but it was more a white pearl silver.

(Click link.)

This topic was modified 1 week ago by Ed Glorius

David Holcombe
(@d-m-holcombe)
Honorable Member

Thanks for posting these good pictures, Ed.  You get an A+ for research!

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Reputable Member

Nice, I never knew this concept car existed.  I was at the NY World's Fair in 1964 and I don't remember seeing it, but I do remember the handful of Turbine Cars driving around a track at the Chrysler Pavilion.  

TurbineCarWorldsFair

Also, there was a white Turbine Car used in the 1964 movie "The Lively Set" starring James Darren.

TurbineCarTheLivelySetMovie

Al_Dorado, John Kuvakas, Frank Reed and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Honestpolitician
(@geoff-jowett)
Honorable Member

really interesting info, thanks Ed, appreciate anything on this fascinating vehicle.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Honorable Member

What a cool concept dreamcar ! I was also at the NYC World's Fair and may well have seen this one. I did see an actual Ghia Turbine driving around suburban Chicago when they were being tested by selected families.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Noble Member Registered

A friend of mine has restored many rare cars over the years including a turbine car that belongs to the Museum Of Transport in St. Louis County, Missouri. Many years ago he brought it out for the annual Easter Sunday Concours which is a major event. I helped him unload the car from the trailer and he let me drive it across the parking lot at no more than 15 miles per hour. I can remember thinking how smooth the car was and being told that the turbine was spinning at approximately18,000 rpms. A retired Chrysler engineer stopped by that day and said that there was one white car built which would collaborate Ed and Pete's posts.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Famed Member

Posted by: @bob-jackman

A friend of mine has restored many rare cars over the years including a turbine car that belongs to the Museum Of Transport in St. Louis County, Missouri. Many years ago he brought it out for the annual Easter Sunday Concours which is a major event. I helped him unload the car from the trailer and he let me drive it across the parking lot at no more than 15 miles per hour. I can remember thinking how smooth the car was and being told that the turbine was spinning at approximately18,000 rpms. A retired Chrysler engineer stopped by that day and said that there was one white car built which would collaborate Ed and Pete's posts.

Very interesting Bob.  Until I saw the pic in Ed's post attachment with the man beside it I didn't realize just how low this car was.

ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@bob-jackman

Thanks for the engineer's memory!

ReplyQuote
Randtheman
(@randtheman)
Trusted Member

@d-m-holcombe..they should have made more for the mass market..then again, it had a pollution problem.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @randtheman

.............    ..then again, it had a pollution problem.

Umm, no, not really. This is from an on-line overview of the Chrysler Turbine car :

" ......The turbine engine has many distinct advantages over the piston engine. It has about one-fifth as many moving parts. There is only one spark plug and it is used only for starting purposes (should never need replacing). The troublesome ignition problems found in piston engines are eliminated. There is no distributor. Also, no radiator needed, because the engine is air-cooled. Turn the key and the engine fires immediately, even in sub-zero temperatures. There is no warming period required after the car is started. Turn on the heater and you get instant heat.

The car drives similar to a conventional auto. However, those who tested the car reported that the turbine operated more smoothly than the piston engine, there was less noise and less vibration.

The turbine is clean-burning engine. Carbon monoxide gas is practically non-existent, as the fuel is burning completely, this adds almost nothing to air- pollutants. Engine oil never becomes contaminated or dirty because it doesn’t come in contact with the fuel or combustion. Since there are fewer moving parts, engine oil consumption is practically eliminated. Five quarts of oil should last a life time.

The turbine is a light-weight engine, and should be expected to run 300,000 miles. The engine requires very little maintenance. (This is substantiated by the low maintenance need by the airline companies for their jets.)

FUEL

Another marled <sic> (marked) advantage over the piston engine is the fact that the turbine will deliver high power while using almost any fuel will burn in a test tube. It will operate on diesel, unleaded, regular or premium gasoline, kerosene, peanut oil, French perfume or brandy. Actually, synthetic, non-fossil fuel or even “home made” fuels would propel the turbine car very nicely.

DOCUMENTATION: All of the facts and figures cited above are documented in the various reports, test results and articles already listed at the beginning of this section.... "

ReplyQuote
Randtheman
(@randtheman)
Trusted Member

@mikedetorrice... I stand corrected  🙁

ReplyQuote
Honestpolitician
(@geoff-jowett)
Honorable Member

what an incredible experience Bob, and appreciate all that extra info Mike.

ReplyQuote
Share: