Kits, anyone?

Notifications
Clear all

Kits, anyone?

Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter  

There was a time in my collecting career (now generally referred to as my "Insane Period") when if I couldn't find a model of something, I'd buy a kit - harbouring the fond delusion that at a later date I would of course build it. Don't laugh. I'm sure you've done it yourself.

So, I have just been browsing through loads of boxes hiding under the spare bed and have unearthed a number of 1:43 white metal and resin kits which, with two or three exceptions, I can't see me ever building now.

I'm obviously not a dealer and I don't do eBay so for the moment I have shoved them back under the bed, but it would be nice if at least some of them could find a loving home. I know that some brave souls on the Forum still hunt down old kits and have a go at building them.

Now, I know this is a forum, not a market stall, and in the past people who have popped up on the Forum and tried to advertise their wares have (quite rightly) been politely shown the door. So, honestly,  I am not really touting for business or posting any lists here, but if any fellow members are kit fans and are curious to see if I have anything that might take their fancy, they can contact me by e-mail  - graeme(dot)ogg(at)btconnect(dot)com   -  and I'll send the 2-page list (about 90 kits in total). I haven't even thought about pricing, I'm just hoping someone might spot something they've been looking for (it's quite a wide range of subject matter and kit styles) and might want to discuss.

If there's nothing of interest to anyone, that's not a problem. They can stay where they are and the mice can happily nibble the boxes.

I can now expect a flood of replies saying "Listen, you daft old so-and-so. We're all in the same boat. How'd you like to buy some of MINE?" (Sigh)

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member

I'm glad that you put that final line in there Graeme. I have a similar number not built. What we do need is that old chance to sell on The Diecast Zone which hopefully might still re-appear at some point.

Mark Lampariello
(@mark-lampariello)
Estimable Member

Perhaps the Auctions can be reinstated, but that's a lot of work for one person to assemble and then moderate.  How many people here do Facebook?  It's pretty easy to start a so called Facebook Group [so ive heard], and some of our members are very active in some of these groups involving 1/43 models.

There are some buy-and-sell groups already, but I was thinking of something for members only. Perhaps a "Forum43 Emporium" of some sort? Just a thought.  I think this would be a more relaxed setting for some of us myself included. 

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Prominent Member

@mark-lampariello Seems like a new 1/43 forum opens up every week on Facebook. There are one or two that include 'for sale' items. BTW, when Spark appeared I started selling off kits years ago (most were Le Mans cars). I have less than a dozen left, plus some finished models I have plans to modify (someday, as usual).

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Reputable Member

@david-green  Kits,  Yes!  I just acquired two K & R white metal kits, a circa 1938 MG PB four seater and a circa 1938 MG TB Midget with Tickford body.   And yes, both of these will get built and added to the "History of MG" display case.  But meanwhile there is a 1932 Packard to finish the modification on and the 1960 Ford modification and also a 1960 Studebaker Lark that may become a station wagon.   Should keep me busy for the next few months.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Harv Goranson
(@mg-harv)
Prominent Member

@john-quilter Here's my Abingdon Classics (pre-K&R) MG PA 4-seater and an MG TA Tickford I built from an old Dave Gilbert kit in the 1970s. The wheels on this one were one-piece white metal so I sprayed them flat black and picked out the silver spokes and rims. The registration matches the car I modeled it after, owned at that time by an MG guy I knew.

Abingdon Classics 1 37 MG PA 4 seater pic1
Abingdon Classics 1 37 MG PA 4 seater pic2
DG 15 pic1
DG 15 pic2

ReplyQuote
John Quilter
(@john-quilter)
Reputable Member

Wheels turned out really well,  nice technique.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

ReplyQuote
Jack Daniels
(@jack-daniels)
Eminent Member

Hi Guys

Most of my friends are in the same boat, with way too many kits hiding in the garage. A couple years ago a friend said he would sell my kits on ebay along with his stuff. He enjoy fiddling with ebay and engaging with the buyers from around the world. Really after all the fees and his smaller percent there is not much money involved. I do have a happy wife when she see a couple small boxes waiting for the mail person. Most of the Starter/Record kits are not worth much, but are nice to see them disappear. Some of the BBR and Marsh type kits will bring a little more, but you never know. The main thing is they are gone and maybe, just maybe somebody will get some enjoyment out of them.

PS The best and easiest thing my friend sells is my old decals, it is very easy to put a decal in an envelope and send it off and make a quick five bucks.

ReplyQuote
David Holcombe
(@d-m-holcombe)
Prominent Member

Hi Graeme-  I only hesitantly respond, but maybe my hesitance will help you.  A few months back I also found an accumulation of kits, only a dozen or so, but that's quite a large part of a small collection.  I tried selling a few on the 'bay with little response.  So I said, "what the heck," and built one, two, and soon it looked like this:

IMG 2291

This is a windowsill in my collection room;  the others are scattered among my 1/43 models here and out in the hall.  While some were kits I had accumulated over the years, most, I think, I purchased on the 'bay and other such places, never paying more than a few dollars.  Many of these are models of cars that I've never seen and/or have no interest in as cars.  Some are simple plastic kits and others are well beyond my expertise, giving me a lot of fun for a few bucks.   For instance, here's one I will be working with now that cold weather is coming: 

IMG 2292

Where else can I find something that much fun for about ten dollars or less?  

Well, that's my two cents worth.  Good luck and I hope you're happy with your results.  I enjoy your posts here on the forum, and this one has made me think a little more.  By the way, I finished this one - a simple painting of a pewter model- just a few minutes ago by putting "glass" in the windshield.

IMG 2289
IMG 2296

Have fun!   David  Nerd  

This post was modified 1 week ago by David Holcombe

ReplyQuote
Share: