'66 Buick or Oldsmobile? Poll is available till Apr 21, 2021

Poll: Which '66? (4/7/2021)

Page 1 / 2

John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

'66 Buick or Oldsmobile?

Be sure to make your selection.  Of course, please “Reply” to share your comments.

Click on the picture to enlarge the image.

1966 Buick Riviera Grand Sport 1
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado 5

Topic Tags
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Noble Member

Incredibly close as I love both cars but I tend to go with the original design of Toronado.  If the Riv was a 65 it would have won.

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Prominent Member Registered

Buick. As much as I liked the 65, the 66 just blew me away. Both cars pictured are terrific but this time I'm going with the Riviera

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Noble Member

The Oldsmobile is a little more innovative. While drive characteristics were unique and occasionally caused problems, I'll go with it.

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Noble Member

Toronado......form over function,always

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Trusted Member

An absolute 101% tie for me. I've always thought that these two 'works of art' were some of GM's finest designs !!

ReplyQuote
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Reputable Member

While I appreciated the idea and innovation of the Toronado, I was never a fan of the look, particularly the hidden headlight arrangement.   Not the best year for Riviera but still a beautiful car with the right color pictured.

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Estimable Member

Invariably for me, Buick over Olds.

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Noble Member

After the first generation Riviera in '63, I was disappointed in how their styling changed by '66.  That said, I have to go with the Toronado because it was the car I got to take my drivers training in through my high school.  I loved it.  

George Schire

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
John Merritt
(@jcarnutz)
Prominent Member

I have to go with the Buick. It is my favorite Riviera. As a kid, my Aunt had one in a silver-blue color. That car was amazing.

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Estimable Member

I've always loved the 1966 Riviera.  Overshadowed by the Toronado, it seemed to me to be under-appreciated. It wins for me.

John Bono liked
ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Reputable Member

Both beautiful, a tie.  Personally I don't care for either, a tie.

In '66 I preferred mid-size cars, Coronet , Charger, Satellite/Belvedere, Fairlane, Comet, GTO, LeMans, GS Skylark, Cutlass, etc.. 

Both Beautiful though and would not turn down either but, would not buy either. 

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Moderator

Two designs with more in common than they appear to have at first glance. Still, they manage to have their own distinct personalities. The Toronado speaks of power and pull with its brawny shoulders and strong arches over the front wheels as well as the back. Its sharper edges at the front infer strength in cleaving the air. It's Michael Tyson. He's going to pound you into submission then run over you. The Riviera is all about flow and grace with smoother edges and more delicate but still weighty lines. It's Evander Holifield. Evander will finesse you until he has the advantage then gently lay you down on the mat. Both are fighters but with vastly different personalities.  Both are winners. I like finesse over brute strength. 

This post was modified 3 days ago 4 times by John Kuvakas

John Kuvakas

ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jkuvakas

Two designs with more in common than they appear to have at first glance. Still, they manage to have their own distinct personalities. The Toronado speaks of power and pull with its brawny shoulders and strong arches over the front wheels as well as the back. Its sharper edges at the front infer strength in cleaving the air. It's Michael Tyson. He's going to pound you into submission then run over you. The Riviera is all about flow and grace with smoother edges and more delicate but still weighty lines. It's Evander Holifield. Evander will finesse you until he has the advantage then gently lay you down on the mat. Both are fighters but with vastly different personalities.  Both are winners. I like finesse over brute strength. 

Love your descriptions, John. I too prefer finesse over brute strength.

ReplyQuote
Paul Rouffa
(@paul-rouffa)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @jkuvakas

So the Toronado will bite off the ear of the Riviera?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: