1/18 1956 Ford COE ...

Notifications
Clear all

1/18 1956 Ford COE car hauler project....

161 Posts
15 Users
272 Likes
17.1 K Views
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@jack-dodds You're welcome Jack, thanks. Glad I could do it (..and that I survived).

Jack Dodds reacted
ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Too funny!  Thank you very much, Wayne, Garth.....    Marlowe. 😎 😎 

Jack Dodds reacted
ReplyQuote
Rich Sufficool
(@rich-sufficool)
Illustrious Member

Try weathering with pastels and metallizer powders. If you don't like it, it's easily removed. For mud sprays, powder the pastels, wet with anything from naphtha to isopropyl and apply with a fan brush.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@rich-sufficool Thanks Rich. I know about the pastels & powders (Model RR too) but NOT the mud. I will try that. Still working on acquiring the "correct load"  of  1958 Fords. I only have 3 "good ones" and few junkers.  I want to right "color mix/body styles." 

Yes, I know...  I'm nuts! 🙄 

(I've never forgotten your "weathering tip" years ago regarding my 1/18 Minichamps WW II VW Swimwagon.  The model features real string ("rope").  To remove the "fuzzies" ...you told me to use "spit."   Good tip! 😉) 

A COE Loaded 1
A COE Loaded 1b
A COE Loaded 5
A COE Loaded 4b
Ford 58 Car Hauler
A COE Loaded 6
This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Christopher Moroni

ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@chris - Your ability to recreate the 1:1 in 1:18 scale is just astounding!  I literally do not have the words.  I'm very much looking to a photo shoot of both of your transporter projects together!

100Ford2003 reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@marty-johnson Well, thank you again good sir....(you're no slouch either 😏). 

Once I get all my Fords "loaded"  I will post "together pics."  But first I must acquire the proper color Fords, fashion side windows & chrome trim, replicate factory window stickers & witness marks. Then possibly acquire/cast steelie rims...then, I'll have to anchor all four cars down with scale chain, so on and so on.  It's clear that "loading that E&L trailer"  will be a project on to itself. 😣 😣 

You'll recall, I would like to (someday) try replicating EVERYTHING seen in this RR pic. G-scale trains (1/32 scale) are simply not large enough, however, a good starting point just might be this large-size Jim Beam Whiskey decanter train...w/track!

For now....here's a few "teasers."  These pics do illustrate the differences in overall length, with the MHS trailer scaling out about 2.85' longer than the E&L.  Afterall, the COE design coupled with about the shortest commercially available car-hauler trailer was all aimed at "being small, short and compact"  to comply with then-federal highway guidelines limiting semi length. 

A Both 1
A Both 6
A Both 3
A Both 4
A Both 5
5154381173 e92332802d z
A Both Jim Beam RR
This post was modified 1 year ago by Christopher Moroni

Rich Sufficool, Marty Johnson, john barry and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Impressive bunch of “teasers”,Christopher.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@david-green Thanks Dave. Not much to it....   the real work lies ahead. 🙄 🙄 🙄

David Green reacted
ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@john-barry That photo features 100% plastic stock.  No vacuum forming was utilized during this project. ALL parts were either pirated, modified or built from scratch using plastic, thin aluminum sheet stock, steal, diecast, epoxy putty, SEVERAL micro-screws and lots of CA (Krazy) glue. I have no trade secrets. 🙄 😔

Thanks again, John, for the compliments. 😀 

ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Chris 😎 

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, I know...I know...  "What the hell?"  Right?   "I thought this dude was finished with this freak'n project months ago?"   I hear ya, but truth be told..."Not quite."  

In my quest for theee perfect (...or as close as I can come  🙄 🙄) 1/18 hauler, my load of brand new 1958 Ford Fairlanes (3 hardtops & 1 convertible ) must look like, well, new 1958 Ford Fairlanes.

Therefore, all windows must be rolled up (...that will be another project ), license plates must be detached, antennas must be lowered, AND all 16 wheelcovers must be removed to expose those 14" factory steel rims. Sunstar did a WONDERFUL job recreating these '58 Ford wheelcovers. Once removed, they look SCALE thin but of course there is NO  "steelie-rim" detail  underneath.   

And because they're 14" not 15" rims I couldn't just swap out rims with those that I had on hand. Instead, I had to engineer scale 14" 1958 Ford rims. My solution was a modified Maisto 1963 Dodge rim with an Ertl steelie  center.  With my silicone molds I became a one-man-resin-factory.

Steve (100Ford2003 ) now you know what I alluded to in Mike's Dodge 300 post. 😏 

Here's a few pics of new 1958 Fords and my "resin factory."  Stay tuned folks.....

Ford 1958 Factory 1
Ford 1958 Factory 2
Ford 1958 Hauler 2
Ford 1958 Hauler
Resin cast 3
Resin cast 4
Resin cast 6
A COE Loaded 4car 7
This post was modified 10 months ago by Christopher Moroni

ReplyQuote
john barry
(@john-barry)
Illustrious Member

how unusual to be allowed access into the "resin factory" 😬 .......brilliant imaginative work Christopher !!!

ReplyQuote
Christopher Moroni
(@chris)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @john-barry

.......brilliant imaginative work Christopher !!!

Thanks John, but all this labor  has really just begun.  It's analogous to an engine block manufacturing operation whereas all raw castings must then be machined.  That's the next phase.... all 32 pieces (4 X 2) X 4 = 32  must now be "machined"  to specs. Then cleaned, then primed, then pained, then tires mounted, so on and so on....

"..brillant?"  Not really.  "Lunacy?"  Without question! 🙄 🙄 🤪 🤪 

100Ford2003 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marty Johnson
(@marty-johnson)
Noble Member

@chris - Okay, Okay, Okay!  Be honest!  You're an AI, aren't you?  You cannot be human!  This is just crazy!  Wow!

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 11
Share: