COFFEE TALK #43

38 Posts
14 Users
126 Likes
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

From the THINGS I'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND department...

With the weather slowly getting nicer here in Minnesota, after my morning coffee and toast, I'm excited get out for my walk.  I have a 4.1 mile route that allows me to enjoy the sun coming up, birds tweeting, and the fresh smell of a new day. 

I've been doing this same walk for over 25 years and have always wondered why people don't put their cars in their garages.  Looking up the definition of "garage", I read that it's, "a building or place for sheltering, cleaning, or repairing motor vehicles".  All of the homes in my neighborhood have double or triple car garages, and yet I will see two, three, and sometimes more cars in the driveways. 

My immediate neighbor next door has a double car garage and has never used it for his cars.  He has everything in that garage, but cars...and of course with that "everything" in it, there is no room for his cars.  This seems to be the same situation for most of the many others that I see around the neighborhood.  And I'm sorry, but this is strange to me.  Mainly because in Minnesota we have ugly winters that are cold, icy, and snowy, and having a garage to shelter our cars is a blessing, especially in the winter.  But more people in my neighborhood don't put their cars in their garages than those that do.  Me personally, my car is never parked in the driveway. 

I bring this topic up because, in the last two weeks we've had three really bad storms that produced a lot of hail.  My immediate neighbors two year old SUV and new this year Pick-Up Truck have sustained hail damage, to which they are upset about, naturally.  But I shake my head wondering why they don't realize that the car and truck could have been sparred this damage, had they both been in their garage.  For me it's simple, a garage is for a car/truck, period.  Nothing else, unless there is room for it, but vehicles first.  And I can't help but think that in addition to the definition of a "garage" I shared above from the dictionary, that over a hundred years ago when the automobile was conceived, the garage was equally conceived to protect it from the elements.  Having a garage and not putting vehicles in them, seems counterproductive to me.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

Allan Ording, Ed Glorius, Ed Davis and 11 people reacted
cadillaclloyd
(@lloyd-mecca)
Honorable Member

@georgeschire

Couldn't agree more!

Ed Glorius, Ed Davis, George Schire and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member

I feel the same way, George. I’m willing to bet most of the “stuff” in garages are useless and have little or no value while many of the vehicles parked outside cost thousands and thousands of dollars. What’s wrong with this picture?   

John Bono
North Jersey

Ed Glorius, Ed Davis, George Schire and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Famed Member

I live in a neighborhood of single family homes, built on a slab (no basement), with one-car garages. I think I'm the only one who uses the garage for a car -  I have the '55 Chrysler in there. The daily drivers are parked in the driveway.

The houses (all the same in my development) were built in 1959. I had to measure the garage before I bought the Chrysler and it JUST fits.

Barry Levittan
Long Island, NY

Ed Davis, 100Ford2003, Ed Davis and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sizedoesmatter

I feel the same way, George. I’m willing to bet most of the “stuff” in garages are useless and have little or no value while many of the vehicles parked outside cost thousands and thousands of dollars. What’s wrong with this picture?   

I think you hit the nail on the head John.  In walking past many of these homes and garages, when the garage doors are open, I can see from the street that there just seems to be one of everything in them, except the cars.  It really makes no sense, and honestly, no explanation that could be given would satisfy the "why" in the question as to the reason for not using the garage to shelter their cars. 

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

Ed Davis and Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
TerrySlekar
(@terryslekar)
Famed Member

Those who fail to put their cars in the garage probably misread the word as “garbage”…

Zeeky Banutski
The People’s Republic of Maryland

Ed Davis and Ed Davis reacted
ReplyQuote
Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Noble Member

Here in Phx. People have so much crap in their garages it’s pathetic,and then they scream and holler about their vehicles being either broken into(many don’t even lock them) or have them vandalized….

I keep my car in the garage religiously and in 40  years have never had a problem!😏

100Ford2003, Ed Davis, 100Ford2003 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @larry-kemling

Here in Phx. People have so much crap in their garages it’s pathetic,and then they scream and holler about their vehicles being either broken into(many don’t even lock them) or have them vandalized….

I keep my car in the garage religiously and in 40  years have never had a problem!😏

Hey Larry...the very neighbor I referred to in my original comment had one of their vehicles broken into three years ago.  I don't live in a high crime area by any means, but random stuff does happen.  When the hail damaged his truck this past week, he was upset because he just got it in January and only has 2800 miles on it.  Both of their vehicles were in the driveway during the hail storm, so he has no one to blame but himself.  And as I said above, his garage has never been used for the cars, but is stacked with every possible thing other than cars.  Simply makes no sense.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

I love it that most people who leave their cars outside do so because they have a pile of junk, worth very little, taking up space in their garage. Apparently I don't understand the economics.

ReplyQuote
Ed Davis
(@ed-davis)
Illustrious Member

I completely agree. Cars in the garage. If you have so much stuff, you have no room in your garage for your cars, I have another solution. Call 1-800-GOT JUNK or similar service. You will then have plenty of room for your cars.

Ed Davis
Inverness, Illinois, USA

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-jackman

I love it that most people who leave their cars outside do so because they have a pile of junk, worth very little, taking up space in their garage. Apparently I don't understand the economics.

Absolutely agree Bob.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @ed-davis

I completely agree. Cars in the garage. If you have so much stuff, you have no room in your garage for your cars, I have another solution. Call 1-800-GOT JUNK or similar service. You will then have plenty of room for your cars.

Seems logical enough to me and you.  But obviously we on this forum are the only ones it makes sense to.  If my garage only had room for my cars and not another item, the cars would get the garage, and buy a shed for the rest of the junk.  Smile

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Famed Member

I'm here to join the chorus. It drives me nuts seeing cars outside while junk fills the garage.

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

100Ford2003, George Schire, Ed Davis and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Famed Member

Add me to the list of the "Cars belong in the garage" crowd.  I don't know how you can spend so much $$$ on something and leave it in the driveway, or worse yet, on the street.

IMG 0711

Jack Dodds, 100Ford2003, George Schire and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

Pete I assume the beautiful Ram is yours. How many times have you hit the back wall?

100Ford2003, Pete Rovero, George Schire and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: