9 Users
28 Likes
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

'53 Buick, Cadillac or Oldsmobile?

Be sure to make your selection.

Of course, please “Reply” to share your comments.

Click on the picture to enlarge the image.

1953 Buick Skylark 5
1953 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible 11
1953 Oldsmobile Fiesta 1a

John Bono
North Jersey

John Napoli, Ed Glorius, George Schire and 3 people reacted
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Sorry but this trio is just too oversized for my taste. Pleasant to look at but not to drive. My father-in-law would have loved any of these.

John Bono and John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

When the Buick Skylark came out I thought it was one of the most beautiful cars I had ever seen. I like all three but Buick for me.

John Bono, 100Ford2003, John Bono and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

I love all three.  I was so happy when I was able to get the Cadillac from Franklin Mint in 1:24 scale and the Buick from Danbury Mint, also in 1:24 scale.  I wanted badly to have either of them give us the Oldsmobile.  I VOTE OLDSMOBILE!

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Famed Member

These are most certainly among the most beautiful cars of the Fifties. A three-way tie for me.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Buick by a nose over Cadillac by a nose over Olds.

ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Noble Member

Slam dunk for the Fiesta. I've seen one in this color combo live, too.

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

When the Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles pictured here were first introduced, I was amazed.  They had the first "wrap-around" windshields and I thought it was the biggest styling change ever!  I was an avid reader of MOTOR TREND and every other car magazine I could find, and those publications were forecasting these windshields as the first in a new wave of glass emphasis in automotive styling.

But my dad wasn't impressed.  His comment:  "Hupmobile had that twenty years ago."  Guess what?

hupmobile 1934 427 eight
13256923535 452dc8a1b9 b
1934 Hupmobile   3

These were the 1934 Hupmobiles. Only one variation of the '35 continued the new windshield. Since that early introduction to the Hupmobile styling, I have found similar windshields on a few Tatra and Panhard cars of the same era.   But the Depression-weary buyers of the 30's didn't jump and the Hupmobile limped on to its demise.

28bb7e67bef7423afc93599ed4497a1f

I know all of these were really 3 panes of flat glass;  but the concept was there, just about 20 years before GM's pair of '53 specials.  I wonder why Buick was left with the older style windshield.  But the next year Buick joined Cadillac and Oldsmobile with all that glass, and Pontiac and Chevy joined the rest of the GM family in windshield styling for '55.

So for a few years in the '50s and even later, the windshields covered a lot of space!  Thus I'm tied between the Eldorado and the Fiesta.  I'll go with the Olds.

This post was modified 4 months ago 3 times by David H

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

Didn't take 2 seconds for me... BUICK !!

I've always loved it's design !

Thank-you John !

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Famed Member

Okay I got to come back and say the Buick once again because of the way the body is so gracefully styled and has that beautiful Chrome strip that comes from the front fender to the front of the rear tire the back haunches are absolutely gorgeous compared to the Cadillac and the Oldsmobile and I love those teardrop shaped headlights the Buick number one always will and always will be it looks so much more modern than the Cadillac and the Oldsmobile.

Please forgive me if my speech to talk or talk to text messaging is not that great

ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Tough to pick one. The Buick is the most refined and my #1 pick. Love its chopped non-wrap-around windshield look. Cadillac is a close 2nd with the Oldsmobile in 3rd place.

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
Share: