13 Users
46 Likes
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @larry-kemling
Posted by: @georgeschire
Posted by: @brush

No interest in station wagons.  As I remember them, the car, the Mercury is more luxurious but rides like a boat which a lot of people love but I prefered the Dodge more stable ride, always prefered the drivetrain, and I was never into luxury.    

I've always been amazed that back in the "Station Wagon" days of automobiles, most folks had no love for them.  They were often thought of as boring.  Ironically, in today's world, the majority of the car buying public prefers the bulbous SUV's, that in reality are just BIG Station Wagons.  Funny how times change.  

I’m with George! Never understood the love people have for SUVs ...their just the new version of a station wagon 🤮

I totally agree.  And yet, the SUV's seem to out number passenger cars by about 8 to 1.  While my wife and I were out driving today, we were actually counting the SUV's and passenger cars, and that was how it ended up.  

I wonder if the auto makers were to simply bring back Station Wagon's if they would be more popular today and maybe even replace the big bulky SUV's.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Noble Member

Had one suv......a 85 Chevy whatchamacallit!Blazer 😂. 

Todays ride is a 2016,Genesis Ultimate. In our late 7Os Today We demand comfort nowadays 😂

BF51B442 745A 4034 89C0 FE696A9DFD97

ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Famed Member

No interest in station wagons.  As I remember them, the car, the Mercury is more luxurious but rides like a boat which a lot of people love but I prefered the Dodge more stable ride, always prefered the drivetrain, and I was never into luxury.    

I've always been amazed that back in the "Station Wagon" days of automobiles, most folks had no love for them.  They were often thought of as boring.  Ironically, in today's world, the majority of the car buying public prefers the bulbous SUV's, that in reality are just BIG Station Wagons.  Funny how times change.  

I’m with George! Never understood the love people have for SUVs ...their just the new version of a station wagon 🤮

I totally agree.  And yet, the SUV's seem to out number passenger cars by about 8 to 1.  While my wife and I were out driving today, we were actually counting the SUV's and passenger cars, and that was how it ended up.  

I wonder if the auto makers were to simply bring back Station Wagon's if they would be more popular today and maybe even replace the big bulky SUV's.  

I have driven SUV's since 2003; why, because that is all that is offered with any real room in them.  Today's cars the door openings are too short 4 door's, some lack leg room, and today's 2 door's are way too low [I can no longer do the limbo]. Hence the SUV's or I drove Pick-up's since 1977 for the same reasons but for the past 18 years I no longer have a use for a truck.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

For me the SUV is preferable by far as a daily driver mainly because of ease of access/egress, driver visual perspective and light load utility; all wrapped up in a 4cyl. drive train which has sufficient power and good gas mileage.  I love my Nissan Rogue.

ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jack-dodds

For me the SUV is preferable by far as a daily driver mainly because of ease of access/egress, driver visual perspective and light load utility; all wrapped up in a 4cyl. drive train which has sufficient power and good gas mileage.  I love my Nissan Rogue.

For me and my wife, it's our sports sedan (Q50) or our sports car (Corvette).  Give me a vehicle with comfort and performance. Fortunately we don't have any issues with access or egress. I also find that many SUVs are road hogs and obscure the vision for other drivers.  

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Famed Member

Personally, I like the driving dynamics of a car and mine is a Dodge Charger. But the advantages of a "crossover SUV" can't be overlooked. Ease of entry and exit, a more commanding view of the road, and more efficient use of vertical space - the added height provides more interior volume with a smaller footprint. 

Here's my wife's Buick Encore GX:

20200228 114020

This post was modified 3 years ago by Moe Parr

Barry Levittan
Long Island, NY

Brush, George Schire, Brush and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @moe-parr

Personally, I like the driving dynamics of a car and mine is a Dodge Charger. But the advantages of a "crossover SUV" can't be overlooked. Ease of entry and exit, a more commanding view of the road, and more efficient use of vertical space - the added height provides more interior volume with a smaller footprint. 

20200228 114020

LOL, "it doesn't look like a Buick".  Taken from their current advertising.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Famed Member

Posted by: @moe-parr

20200228 114020

When you live in northern New England all wheel drive is recommended, snow and the many miles of dirt roads and logging roads make an SUV in it's element. A sports car or a low clearance car is only good for about 7 months of the year here. Access/egress plus all wheel drive is what is best for a 240 lb. 6'2" old fart that, joints don't work very well anymore can live with.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: