Classic New Arrival!

This is the 1949 Mercury Coupe Atlantic Blue in 1:18 scale by Auto World.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3Oid6pn

Poll: Which '63? (4...

Notifications
Clear all
Poll results: '63 Pontiac, Studebaker or Thunderbird?
Voter(s): 21
Poll is closed Apr 26, 2022
'63 Pontiac  -  votes: 7 / 33.3%
33.3%
'63 Studebaker  -  votes: 6 / 28.6%
28.6%
'63 Thunderbird  -  votes: 5 / 23.8%
23.8%
Tie  -  votes: 3 / 14.3%
14.3%
Sorry no interest in this selection  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%

Poll: Which '63? (4/12/2022)

John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

'63 Pontiac, Studebaker or Thunderbird?

Be sure to make your selection.

Of course, please “Reply” to share your comments.

Click on the picture to enlarge the image.

1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 19
1963 Studebaker Avanti 15
1963 T bird 7

John Bono
North Jersey

John Napoli, Ed Glorius, George Schire and 1 people liked
David Green
(@david-green)
Famed Member

Interesting choices here. I suspect the least sales went to the Avanti which is the one I would love to drive most in this grouping.

ReplyQuote
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Noble Member

I love all 3 equally so therefore I voted 'tie'. However...lol...if I could have 1..and only 1 in my garage to drive for the rest of my life... it'd be the T-Bird. Always loved it..always will. My 3rd grade teacher @ St. James School in Depew NY had one in light blue with beige interior. One day Mrs. Battaglia asked me to bring something in from her car.

I thought I'd died and went to Heaven !

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Famed Member

PONTIAC GRAND PRIX for me! 

I've never been able to get excited about the Avanti.  Just to odd looking for my taste.  And the Thunderbird, it's a body style that I've warmed up to a little, but having the Pontiac as competition, the "Bird" loses. 

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Famed Member Registered

Having owned and restored a 63 Avanti and 63 Thunderbird Sports Roadster, which I still own, you would think that I would be prejudiced to both of them however the Pontiac is also one of my favorites as well. A tie for me. Oh and George if you ever drove an Avanti I think you would be impressed at it's agility.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Moderator Admin

For me, it gets down to something unique and elegant. I love the GP, that's what makes this decision so difficult. In the end, the GP is more of another version of the big Pontiac than anything unique. The T-Bird and Avanti are singular in their lines and in their respective lineups. I give points to the Avanti for a daring and enduring design that was once featured in NYC's Museum of Modern Art. Studebaker showed us what they could do when they stepped out of the box. But the Thunderbird has my heart from the sleek, bullet-like design to the DDG interior. 

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

100Ford2003, John Bono, Jack Dodds and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Noble Member

I agree with John … oh but that GP is gorgeous.

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Prominent Member

Anytime the 1963 GP shows up here, it wins for me. I've loved the combination of elegance and power since I was a kid.

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @ed-glorius

Anytime the 1963 GP shows up here, it wins for me. I've loved the combination of elegance and power since I was a kid.

Ed;  I couldn't agree more; I have loved this GP from the first time I set eyes on one and remember exactly where that was back in '63.  Pontiac wins; T-Bird a close second and Avanti third.  Avanti's styling is very cool and unique but IMHO cannot compare to the other two.  The absence of a traditional grille leaves it lacking for me in this comparison.

I sure would love to see Goldvarg do this gorgeous  '63 Pontiac; I would buy both colors for sure!

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Noble Member

3 sensational vehicles from 1963 ! All wonderful in their own ways.

ReplyQuote
David Vandermeer
(@david-vandermeer)
Reputable Member

I like all three but prefer the '64 GP. I sat in an Avanti in the local Studebaker dealership and it felt so "right" to me but my part time job at Safeway couldn't begin to pay for one. I still like those original Avantis so that's my vote.

David Vandermeer
Corinth, Texas

ReplyQuote
fpaquet
(@fpaquet)

No contest- the T-Bird. My first car was a ‘64 T-Bird. I was 16 and working at a sports car shop (Jaguars, MG’s, Austin America’s) in Whittier,CA. The ‘Bird was 5 years old, in cherry condition and had been traded in for a new XKE. The dealership sold it to me for $849.00. That’s all they gave the women for it against the Jag. 

ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Three cars that make a strong statement, which makes it difficult for me to pick just one. After much consideration I'm going with the Avanti because it's unique and extreme.

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

Avanti is my #1, the T-Bird is a distant #2, and the Pontiac is just not my idea of something I want (or wanted back then).

ReplyQuote
Share:

Classic New Arrival!

This is the 1949 Mercury Coupe Atlantic Blue in 1:18 scale by Auto World.

Order yours today! 👇

https://bit.ly/3Oid6pn