9 Users
16 Likes
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

'48 Mercury or Pontiac?

Be sure to make your selection.

Of course, please “Reply” to share your comments.

If selection is greater than 2 rank them.

Click on the picture to enlarge the image.

1948 Mercury Woody Wagon 3
1948 Pontiac Silverstreak Woodie Wagon1

John Bono
North Jersey

Ed Glorius, Frank Reed, Ed Glorius and 1 people reacted
Topic Tags
David H
(@d-m-holcombe)
Trusted Member

Two fine examples of the golden age of "woodies."  Thanks for reviving the memories, John.  Now I'm going to try to find the builders...

(later)  No surprise on the first one.  Mercury's body was built by Ford, the Iron Mountain Plant and Sawmill on Michigan's upper peninsula.  Henry Ford just didn't like the idea of buying bodies from an independent builder, and so he started with his own trees and owned the whole process for quite a long period of time.  

Pontiac (from the Concept Carz site): Pontiac Streamliner 'Woodie' Station Wagon is powered by a 248.9 cubic-inch eight-cylinder engine delivering 104 horsepower in standard trim or 106 horsepower with the optional high-compression cylinder head. The company offered the Streamliner chassis with three body styles; this included the hand-built Woodie station wagon being the most expensive model in the entire Pontiac range. With a wheelbase of 122 inches, the Pontiac Streamliner Wooide was the largest on the market and offered seating for up to nine individuals. Furthermore, the rear seats could be removed for additional load-carrying space. The base price of $2,500 made it a very expensive option and out of the reach of many would-be Pontiac customers.

The 1948 model was the final year for what might be termed the 'real' Woodies, when the entire rear body structure was constructed of timber. In 1949, steel was used for the roof and progressively fewer components were made of wood up to 1953 when the last of these Pontiac station wagons was made. The body was built by the skilled craftsman at the Ypsylanti Furniture Co in Michigan, where no fewer than 523 parts were made from either mahogany or Canadian maple.

Thanks again for your choice of two great woodies, John.  I'm glad I don't have to choose between them.  Mark me as "TIE."

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by David H

John Bono, David Green, Frank Reed and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Famed Member

I picked the shaplier Pontiac.

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

Never really been a fan of Station Wagons and even less a fan of Woodie Wagons.  However, if I had to choose the more modern looking and certainly more stylish between these two, it's the MERCURY all the way!  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Interesting pair John and a fine research piece by David. This pair to me represent the pinnacle of the American Woody. I like both and would be hard pressed to pick one over the other. A tie for me.

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Famed Member

"Streamliner" is a good name for the Pontiac, it looks much more so than the Mercury and it gets my vote.

Barry Levittan
Long Island, NY

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

I like both of them very much but give an edge to the more attractive Pontiac styling.

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

@moe-parr Barry I agree.

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Noble Member

I like the looks of the Mercury better, and I'm not a fan of 1950s Pontiacs until 1957. It wins for me.

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Too hard to pick, got to call it a tie.

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
Share: