15 Users
43 Likes
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

'66 Buick or Oldsmobile?

Be sure to make your selection.

Of course, please “Reply” to share your comments.

If selection is greater than 2 rank them.

Click on the picture to enlarge the image.

1966 Buick Riviera Grand Sport 9
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado 7

John Bono
North Jersey

100Ford2003, Charles Rockett, David Green and 2 people reacted
Topic Tags
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Illustrious Member

The Buick is better looking to me. 👀

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

ReplyQuote
John Napoli
(@carsman1958)
Famed Member

Not a fan of either, but picked the Buick only because I did not like the fact that the Olds was front wheel drive in a period where everything was rear wheel drive.  Low and behold some 50 years later, everything is front wheel drive.  What a shame.  So glad I have my Challenger now.

100Ford2003, Charles Rockett, Jack Dodds and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Famed Member

The Toronado is more daring in looks and engineering, but the Buick wins for me with its sleek beauty and proven drivetrain.

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

ReplyQuote
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

@carsman1958 - John, my 2021 Infiniti is rear wheel drive with an all-wheel-drive option.

John Bono
North Jersey

ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Famed Member

Posted by: @sizedoesmatter

@carsman1958 - John, my 2021 Infiniti is rear wheel drive with an all-wheel-drive option.

As is my 2020 Dodge Charger.

I voted for the Riviera today, it's a little "crisper" looking than the Toronado to me.

Barry Levittan
Long Island, NY

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Oldsmobile for innovation, but frankly, neither of these vehicles would belong in my driveway.

ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Famed Member

Posted by: @david-green

Oldsmobile for innovation, but frankly, neither of these vehicles would belong in my driveway.

Same here!

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @ed-glorius

The Toronado is more daring in looks and engineering, but the Buick wins for me with its sleek beauty and proven drivetrain.

I voted for the Toronado for the same reasons....despite the slightly more attractive Riv.

ReplyQuote
Graeme Ogg
(@graeme-ogg)
Famed Member

Riviera is near-perfect. I can appreciate the reasons for giving the "sporty" (?) Toronado more aggressive body detailing, it just doesn't appeal to me so much.

Graeme.M. Ogg
London U.K.

ReplyQuote
John Kuvakas
(@jkuvakas)
Famed Member Admin

It's amazing how similar the silhouettes of these two cars are, yet how totally different they are in the sheet metal. The Toronado telegraphs power and broad-shouldered strength. The accents over the wheel wells declare this to be something different with as much emphasis on the front wheels as the rear. The Riviera is all flowing lines and elegant transitions.

Back in the day, I would have chosen the Toronado. I owned a '70 model and loved it. Today, it seems to me that the Riviera has aged more gracefully. It gets my vote.

John Kuvakas
Warrenton, VA

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

They are both great-looking V-8 cars, but I am not a fan of the Toronado FWD system. Jay Leno had a Toronado from this generation with a powerful V-8 (Corvette) engine and rwd. That was impressive !

ReplyQuote
Charles Rockett
(@charles-rockett)
Famed Member

The Buick has a sleek and slightly curvaceous slipperiness to its skin that I find a little unnerving, (as does the following years' Eldorado). I can appreciate its sublime beauty, but it's not for me. On the other hand, the Toronado had iconic status when I was a kid, despite which, I found it pug ugly - and still do! For the first time in one of John's polls I'm going for a tie.

ReplyQuote
Pete Rovero
(@pete-rovero)
Famed Member

John, you couldn't have found better comparative pictures:  Both the same color and the same 3/4 view!  Excellent, I know that isn't an easy thing to do.  This is a tough one for me, like them both, but I chose the Riviera.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

The Riviera a beautifully designed automobile to me while the Toronado hasn't the same elegance.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: