12 Users
36 Likes
John Bono
(@sizedoesmatter)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

'55, '56 or '57 DeSoto?

Be sure to make your selection.

Of course, please “Reply” to share your comments.

If selection is greater than 2 rank them.

Click on the picture to enlarge the image.

1955 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman 4
1956 Desoto Fireflite Sportsman 6a
1957 DeSoto Firesweep Sportsman 5

John Bono
North Jersey

John Napoli, Bob Jackman, Ed Glorius and 2 people reacted
Topic Tags
100Ford2003
(@100ford2003)
Illustrious Member

I like all of them but if I could have one for a Sunday drive... it'd be that '56 in those exact colors.

ReplyQuote
Frank Reed
(@frank)
Illustrious Member

Three good looking cars, I prefer the 55.  👍

Frank Reed
Chesapeake, VA

John Bono reacted
ReplyQuote
Moe Parr
(@moe-parr)
Famed Member

I'm with you, 100Ford, the color combo absolutely makes the '56! Winner for me today, too.

Perfect timing for today's comparo, John, after yesterday's Oldsmobiles...and I prefer the DeSotos for all 3 years.

Barry Levittan
Long Island, NY

ReplyQuote
David Green
(@david-green)
Illustrious Member

Oh boy! I really like this trio and would welcome all in my garage. That said, my order of preference is 1956, 1955 and then 1957. Yes, the colour schemes did help in my choice.

ReplyQuote
Mike DeTorrice
(@mikedetorrice)
Illustrious Member

They are all De-lovely DeSotos !

ReplyQuote
Ed Glorius
(@ed-glorius)
Famed Member

1956 is one of my American favorites of the decade. 1955 and 1957 tie as they are equally terrific but very different.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Ed Glorius

Retired in Dunedin, Florida.

100Ford2003, John Bono, Brush and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

DeSoto was a knock-out in the early 50's.  They were close to perfect with the '55, but it was the '56 that they hit the homerun!  Then just like that, the stylists lost their minds and the '57 was the result of their mind loss.  It is a train wreck when compared to the '56!  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

100Ford2003 reacted
ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Famed Member

Love the '57, longer, lower, wider, sleeker looking, my all time favorite DeSoto.  The only years I like DeSotos in the order I like them are '57, '58, '56, '59, '55.

Though a bit too toothy for my taste yet another DeSoto I like the '42, so distinctive.

4015888526 a1276c3b1f b

I look at these comparos and judge the car it self, not the car pictured, their colors mean nothing other than the pleasure of viewing some gorgeous cars.  Though the comparo only shows the front & side view I also consider the rear view not pictured & like others here I consider the interior.  However, I don't consider the drive trains or handling.. I don't know why?

ReplyQuote
Brush
(@brush)
Famed Member

Posted by: @georgeschire

DeSoto was a knock-out in the early 50's.  They were close to perfect with the '55, but it was the '56 that they hit the homerun! 

George, I agree with this part.

Then just like that, the stylists lost their minds and the '57 was the result of their mind loss.  It is a train wreck when compared to the '56!  

Here we disagree, the '57 longer, lower, wider, sleeker look caught my eye.

ReplyQuote
Bob Jackman
(@bob-jackman)
Illustrious Member

55,56,57. The 55 still had the toothy grill, which I love, and had been a trademark of DeSoto.

ReplyQuote
Jack Dodds
(@jack-dodds)
Illustrious Member

1955, '56 then '57.  I like the '55 best in that decade; especially the grille and more conservative tail light area.

ReplyQuote
Larry kemling
(@larry-kemling)
Noble Member

Just love the styling of the 55’ plus the color combination s perfect!

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bob-jackman

55,56,57. The 55 still had the toothy grill, which I love, and had been a trademark of DeSoto.

I agree that DeSoto made a mistake by taking away their trademark "toothy grill".  That, and that alone, was the only flaw I have with the beautiful '56 DeSoto.  But I over look that mistake with the fins being added and the great "three tail-lights" to boot.  The car was gorgeous and the toothy grill would have made it perfect.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
George Schire
(@georgeschire)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @brush

Love the '57, longer, lower, wider, sleeker looking, my all time favorite DeSoto.  The only years I like DeSotos in the order I like them are '57, '58, '56, '59, '55.

Though a bit too toothy for my taste yet another DeSoto I like the '42, so distinctive.

4015888526 a1276c3b1f b

I look at these comparos and judge the car it self, not the car pictured, their colors mean nothing other than the pleasure of viewing some gorgeous cars.  Though the comparo only shows the front & side view I also consider the rear view not pictured & like others here I consider the interior.  However, I don't consider the drive trains or handling.. I don't know why?

Though I can't speak for anyone else, I personally have never considered the engine or fast it will get from 0 to 60 mph.  What the car looks like from bumper to bumper and most important the dash inside is important to me.  I have to look at that dash every time I'm in that car and driving it, and if it is an ugly dash, that can and has discouraged me from buying a car.  

George Schire
Oakdale, Minnesota

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: